Friday, October 24, 2014

Terry Treetop Finds New Friends eBook Review



Our family was selected to read and review 'Terry Treetop Finds New Friends' in exchange for receiving the ebook free of charge.  After browsing the other reviews on Amazon, I feel many others here also received the book for free, and automatically gave it 5 stars because of it.

Tali Carmi seems to be a very passionate author who loves what she does.  Each book comes with a personal thank you note, telling you of her inspirations and dreams.  There just are some people who probably shouldn't be children's authors - myself included.

Immediately upon seeing the book, I was a little confused as to why Marie from 'The Artistocats' was on the cover.  Turns out, it's not Marie, but a kitten named Kitty.  The fact that the illustrator had to steal artwork from Disney is a little off-putting - they could have at least changed the color of the bow and collar in an effort to not directly copy it.

Once we started reading, the format was completely off in our e-reader.  Every other page is just a run-off of words, leaving my daughter bored and restless with nothing to look at.  Another immediate complaint was the fact the author has inserted links into the story to advertise her other books.  It just seemed gimmicky.

As we continued reading, I continually got caught up on the words - the way the sentences were put together were just awkward.  "Terry was so happy that he climbed that tree to go to his new house,"  or "He didn't want to be alone, so he decided to go on a journey to find new friends to invite to his tree house."  Not to mention, there was a sentence that began with "But."  I personally don't feel comfortable exposing my daughter to poor grammar if I don't need to.

The best part of this ebook is the author provides a free activity for the story on her site at http://www.thekidsbooks.com/terry_friends/card_game.pdf

Kirsten loved playing the card game, over and over. It was definitely the highlight of her experience.

My daughter sat through the story, but wasn't interested in talking about it or the prospect of reading it again.  At the end of the book, it advertised getting another Terry Treetop book for free.  This time, it was Terry Treetop and The Lost Egg.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DOAHBZU/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once again, reading this book was just awkward.  It's written in rhymes, which gave me hope that it would be an easier read - regrettably, the rhythm continued changing and extra words were added and removed each line, causing the flow to be off.  Also, attempts at rhyming words such as 'alligator' with 'water' left me stumped.

I am thankful that we received these ebooks for free, as it was nice, quality time spent with my daughter.  However, I do not plan on purchasing any of Tali Carmi's additional ebooks.

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment